Saturday, May 7, 2011

Aaaahhhh Mother's Day.....

      Today has been a wonderful day before Mother's Day.  Today was the epitome of why I love being a mom.  This morning I was awaken by my teenager who was showering in my shower at 6:30 this morning... did I mention it was Saturday?...at least he didn't start singing!! He was headed out to play baseball in Canyon, Texas (the Bobcats by the way just won Bi-District! Great day to be a Bobcat!!!) Then I promptly got up and fixed breakfast for the two remaining children that I gave birth to... Shaw had pictures and a baseball game - and as usual Sager was along for the ride!  Shaw had a great day of baseball.... wait - that's not true - it was 98 at 11:00 and his team the rangers got trounced! Sorry Dude, but you looked sweet in your red socks.  Then we came home where I did more and more laundry, made some cards, washed some dishes and played in the sprinkler.  Does that sound very exciting? probably not but it was just like I like it!



     Anyhoo - here is my ode of love to the most wonderful mother I know, my sister Sarah.  As I write this, she has hauled her family to Albuquerque, NM so that her sweet baby boy (who is over 6 feet tall...) can play ball!!! (For the record he gave her two out of the park home runs for mother's day! isn't that so thoughtful - he knew just what she wanted!!)  She was our surrogate mother growing up, the oldest child of an alcoholic who was the peacemaker in all that she's ever done.  I've written about the fight we got into because she was mad at me for coming in late after canoodling with my boyfriend.  She was in the right, I shouldn't have been out that late on a school night, but you couldn't have told that to a teenage girl filled with hormones and hate!  


     Sarah has always been the fabulous one, she was beautiful, inside and out and tried to take the best care of me as best as she could.  I was living with her and her husband when Scout was born, and I can still remember how mad she was at me for getting pregnant first but how much she loved Scout and now his brothers.  She wants so much for her children and there's nothing that she won't do to make them the best.  She always said - I'm a do-er - I'm going to get it done.  Often, people take her nice ways and run over her, but she's getting better about being more assertive... God help us all! 


   She's my favorite person in the whole world.  Literally.  I've given my feelings for her many moments of contemplation so I can say that with no apologies to no anyone else because they haven't been together as long as Sarah and I have.  We have always been together, even when we're mad at each other, we're still together. She's Shirley to my Laverne.  She's Lenny to my Squiggy.  So here's to you sister of mine.... you're the best! The best mom, the best friend, the best! I love you!


My sister Sarah and her baby boy Jackson!


No comments: