Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Girl...



Just look at this... my cousin David emailed this pic to me.  This proves to me that life is in the details.  Look at me sandwiched in between the pretty and thin girls.  Look at my thighs - stocky from the get go... Look at my sister's and my cousin Monica's dainty and sweet sandals... what do I have on tennis shoes with no socks - how gross is that?  Look at how sweet Sarah and Monica look, sweet little smiles... Do I have a sweet little smile - nope - that's a scowl... (and while part of me loves that I was so unique part of me doesn't)   This picture was taken a looooong time ago.  I know exactly where we were but I have long forgotten what we were doing.  This is at my Granny's house obviously in the summer but what were we up to?  Who was in charge?  I'm sure my Aunt Quetha is taking the picture.  My mom didn't take pictures of very many things.  Obviously the reason why I take a plethora of pictures at every encounter, every production, every waking moment of my children's mundane lives.  It kind of makes me a little sad.  First of all because I look so unhappy and second of all because ... well because of too many other reasons... poor little girl - I had such potential.  Somebody should have taken me under their wing and said - girl - get some socks on!!! girl - smile for the camera - girl - did you know that you can be what ever you want when you grow up?  girl - you don't have to be second - you're first place material - girl - you're not like your sister or your step sister or your cousin - you're a one and only... but no one said that.  The only one who came close was my Granny who quietly loved me and explained things to me that I needed to know. But there was a lot that never got explained.  Now don't get me wrong I knew that my dad loved me and I knew that ChaCha made sure I was all right (goodness knows she taught me how to look for sales and to never pay full price for anything!) but kids need more than that.  Everyday at my school I see kids that are leading lives where they are just getting by. (As my dad would say - leading lives of quiet desperation.) No one to sing their praises, no one to take them under their wing and say - get some socks on!!!  Sometimes, just sometimes it's nice to hear that you're a little something special.  So if you're reading this, make sure you take the time to let someone - your son, your daughter, your spouse - whatever you call the loved ones in your life - that they are special for whatever reason - don't just say Oh you're something special - say you're special because... because .... because.

5 comments:

Jenschke Family said...

One of the truest post I have ever read! You are special because you are you. Pure and genuine!

I pray everyday that I can make an impact on my students' lives, not just their education. Almost all of them need so much more than learning their spelling words or memorizing their multiplication facts. They need me to care, they need me to know them, and most of all they need me to let them know I do love them no matter what.

Thanks for this beautiful post and for caring about those that most just pass over!

Maria said...

Kim - I know that you truly understand me and what I was thinking!!! You see them well before they get to the jr. high. Thank you for caring about those poor little creatures that sometimes do need just a little something other than math and spelling!

Marsha Meacham said...

Although you didn't have that special someone to take you under her wing, God has great plans for you. He needs you to take some of our students under your wing; and you do. You are an awesome teacher. You encourage, challenge and nuture them. You are also an amazing mother. I see your love for your boys in your eyes, actions and conversations. Unfortunately, sometimes the best lessons we learn from others is what NOT to do. You learned how to rise above and to be an inspiration to so many people. You have so much potential--look forward Maria.

Anonymous said...

"If you've ever searched for the meaning of life, stop. Look closely, and you'll see it in the eyes of your child."

Selden B. Hale IV

Maria said...

Mrs. Meacham - I'm trying!!!!