Sunday, February 7, 2010

Soul Train!!!!



I'm watching a VH1 show - about Black History Month, it's about Soul Train!!! Now this may sound silly, but I myself watched ALOT of Soul Train!!!  I've been very open about the fact that I watched too much TV when I was little.  I'm well aware that most kids were not watching as much TV as me.  (I would never let my kids watch as much TV as I did!)  My mom worked nights and slept during the day so there wasn't much to do when you're little.  So on Saturday Morning, we  watched cartoons, American Bandstand and then some Soul Train.  I loved American Bandstand but Soul Train was a trip!! I had never seen dancing and shaking like that.  When they line up and dance through the lines of people - loved it!!!!  I thought it might be alright to have an afro until I got to Jr. High and watched all the sisters putting vaseline in their hair in the bathroom.  Then I changed my mind (ha! especially since I rocked the Dorothy Hamil hairdo until I was in the 6th grade!)  This wasn't my first foray into the black society, my dad had been taking us to the black church in Amarillo and the NAACP meetings for years!  At the time, I thought holy crap - he's going to get us killed.  One time we were at a NAACP meeting or banquet or something and the speaker was a Dallas councilman, who was kind of militant and starting talking about sticking to the "Man".  I leaned over and asked my dad "Do we need to get out of here?" and he just laughed and said - "I don't think so..." and I wondered if my dad was the "Man" and I was ready to claim total Hispanic heritage if I needed to but the evening ended and there wasn't any trouble.   (looking back I'm sure half the people had used my dad as a lawyer or knew someone who had used him as a lawyer!)  I'm sure my dad was trying to teach us about diversity, mankind and the such but at the time it was crazy!!!  I wonder what my kids would think if I drug them to a NAACP meeting - Shaw wouldn't be fazed, Scout would probably be able to hold his own and Sager would probably try and pick up a girl!  (You know Sager loves all color of girls!!)  So here's to Black History Month! Love, Peace and SOUL!!!!

3 comments:

Marsha Meacham said...

At the risk of sounding redundant----
you need to write a book.

The Vannoy Family said...

Hahahahaha! You make me smile! (:

Stephanie Harbin said...

You crack me up!! Sounds like your dad was pretty great! I remember soul train. I probably watched that much tv also. I just don't remember it!!