Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Real Therapist.....

The other day one of my friends asked me if I had ever been to a counselor.  I said well yes, yes I had.  So of course that brought back a plethura of memories... It was circa 1989 or 90 and I was still in high school, I think my sister was either a senior or right out of school.  One night - I came in late... really late and I'm sure it was a school night.... I had been meeting my deadbeat boyfriend who my father lovingly referred to as a slackjaw or dog breath.... whichever anyhoo... my sister had the audacity to jack me up about coming in late because just who did she think she was - she wasn't my mother - which I believe I told her just that same thing... and she attacks me!!!.... Well thank God I had begun my ninja training at a young age, so I deflected her blows and landed a hard right... right on her eye - truly I have to admit it - it was  a lucky shot - and Sarah got me back by pulling a plug out of my hair... well it went from bad to worse - my brother separated us and the next thing I know I was on trial..... that's right I said TRIAL!!!! My father thought that he would scare me and he threatened to sell my show animals and .... and.... this is where the story gets kind of hazy.... I asked my sister what she remembered and she said that I walked out of the trial! How about that! See I am tough!!! ( and for the record - I did contemplate running away but I didn't have any money and I didn't have a way to get there and the idea of walking in downtown Amarillo was really not what I had in mind for a good time.... I was tough but I wasn't stupid!) 


Anyhoo part of the sentence was that my sister and I had to visit a therapist.... get real!! Like I was going to spill my guts to a complete stranger right beside my sister who I was presently highly ticked off at.... 


Well so my sister and I show up at the Chinese Therapist (whose name was Shirley Sherwood) (and my sister said that she remembers that the room was colorless like she was in a science fiction movie... see clearly she was crazier than I was.... and she was the one who instigated the whole incident!!!) (I was FRAMED!!!!) and she encouraged us to "float on the love river...." uh.... Shirley.... I currently was hacked off at my sister and I really wasn't gonna float anywhere with her and conversely she felt the same....this is what she said about the whole ordeal... I don't remember much besides the river of love thing. I think I've blocked it from my memory. I remember you were totally pissed because we had to go and you thought "Shirley" was on my side. I also remember the room was dark and there was no color anywhere...weird, Kind of like a science fiction movie. I also remember thinking I shouldn't have had to go because I was the VICTIM...haha! Hope this helps.   


The victim.... and her attacker but which one is which ?
Look at her, doesn't she look mean in her red preppy sweater? I was framed I tell ya.... framed!
Anyhoo.... where was I going with this? Oh yes... I highly encourage anyone and everyone to go see a therapist whether it's a Chinese one who's name is Shirley who encourages you to float.... or not because the moral of this story is that the love river must have worked because my sister and I are the bestest of friends... and clearly we won't be in public in a bathing suit, floating anywhere!!! just saying!!!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to write a freakin' novel! Reading your blogs does my heart and soul good.....better some days than any of my Bible studies....no sacrilege intended! I LOVE it!!! I gotta go now.....searching the yellow pages for a Chinese Shirley...

Maria said...

hahahaha!!! Float with us Debbie... float with us on the love river (but you gotta say it like you're Chinese...the ruv riva...)

Ginger Wilson said...

You have a YouTube career! :)

Stephanie Harbin said...

UMMMM...don't think I need therapy anymore!!! Seriously, you crack me up. I am glad you and your sister love each other now!

Maria said...

Steph - all's well that ends well!

Jerilynn said...

awww - I spent lots of time with that girl in the red sweater. Can't wait for things to slow down so I can meet her for coffee and catch up! P.S. I probably witnessed a few knock downs - but I don't remember Shirley!

Maria said...

Jerilyn - that's right!!! You, Shatawn,and Sarah probably all had a matching sweaters! Good stuff!!