Sunday, October 3, 2010

Milestones.....

As many parents know, there are many, many milestones in your children's lives.  Today Scout reached one that I had hoped he never would reach.  Let's face it, I'm a realist.  I know that I have taught my children many lessons and whether or not they listen and take heed, I never know.  Let me set the stage for you.  It's a cool October Sunday (today) and I've been diligently doing laundry, dishes, took Sager to a costume party, made breakfast and dinner is in the crock pot.  Scout had come home from work early and was in his room listening to either Katy Perry or Cannibal Corpse - I never know which.   Anyhoo... I digress..... I walk into his room to ask him if he has any clothes that need to be washed.  He gets up from his desk and looks around.  Let's just say - it ain't pretty.  There are 10 pairs of running shoes, Gatorade bottles, running magazines, school backpack, dirty dishes, water bottles, his work clothes.... you get the picture.  So even with his loving and devoted mummy standing in the filth and funk, he does the unmentionable... I hate to even write about it but... I know that there are mothers in Uganda who have dealt with the crap that I'm about to see.  I know there are Aborigine mothers cringing that their sons do the same thing that I'm about to deal with..... Scout stands up.... bends down and picks up some shirt off the floor and.... and..... SMELLS IT!!!!! Oh my gosh.... all my years of mothering, teaching and guiding down the toilet.... but wait it gets worse... he throws it down and moves onto the next pile and smells it and says yeah... that's dirty... Can you believe it?  My heart is broken.  Where is that sweet little squared away boy that wiped his hands after every bite of breakfast at the day care???? He's gone I tell you  - gone..... 

The good ole' days when Scout listened to his mummy.

The only consolation is that he ran in Iowa Park this weekend and placed 2nd!!! Woo-Hoo!!!  He whittled his time down to 16:51.  That is super SWEET!!!!


2 comments:

Jenschke Family said...

Oh my gosh...I thought you were writing about Garrett! Must be a teenage boy thing. Completely gross and unexcused but a teenage boy thing!

Maria said...

Kim - I'm so glad you feel my pain!!! ha!!!!