Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Granny...

Well still nothing.... I talked to my sister last night and still nothing.  She hasn't had any contractions, nothing.  She's had an ultrasound and everything is good, she's just not ready to deliver... As we wait, I've been thoughtful about my kids and Sarah's first two and when I think of them, I think of my grandmother, my Granny. Why? I don't know.  Maybe because everyday I walk by a picture of her with Scout, when he was just a few weeks old.  Jackson was also lucky enough to get to be held by her.  But none of the other babies were so lucky.  She died shortly after Jackson was born.  My Granny's name was Pauline and I really, really loved her.  She was the one who we got shipped off to for school break's weekends, whatever.  We never stayed a terribly long time but the times we stayed are totally cemented in my mind.  My Granny was so strong and smart, she laughed and had a good time.  She taught me how to drive, traded books with me, slipped me money, called just to see what was up.  She and my dad would argue at the table and she would make him so mad... I just loved it.  I can still see and feel the smooth table as I looked down wondering how far the fight would go... feeling ever so uncomfortable and thinking oooooh, I wonder what he would do if I talked like that.    I can hear my dad saying, Now Ma... he never called her mom or mother just ma.  She would sit at one end and he at the other, it was like they were some old married couple, (ewwww! that's creepy!!!)    I can hear her stirring her coffee cup first thing of a morning and smell the Sara Lee coffee cake (still my favorite... I could eat a whole one by myself to this day! talk about some weird issues!)  When Brandon and I's baby, Sullivan, died, my Aunt Mona called several days later and told me that she had  a dream while I was in the hospital (it was before anyone had told her what had happened) and in her dream, my Granny and PaPa (her husband, Butch) were laughing and holding a dark haired baby.  That's how important my Granny is to me... I really, really wish that she could be here to help take care of baby Jaeli but I guess maybe she has things to do where she is....

2 comments:

Stephanie Harbin said...

Oh, Maria, I am crying for you. Grandma's are so special. I can still remember being too big to rock, but my granny rocking me anyway and singing Go Tell Aunt Rhody to me. What a beautiful dream your Aunt had about your grandma holding Sullivan. I am sure that gives you hope. Maybe she is holding on to baby Jaeli right now. What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing with us.

Maria said...

Steph - you're the best!!